Come work in a start-up like environment building a new AWS service in the area of data sharing, privacy, and analytics! This is an opportunity to design an AWS service from the ground up while working closely with a talented cross functional team (backend/frontend engineers, product managers, and UX designers). You can learn more about the details of this impactful new initiative after you apply.
We are looking for a strong Software Development Engineer with experience in compilers and distributed systems to help us build secure, scalable solutions that delight customers. As a foundational member of the team, you will lead the building/ maintenance of a SQL compiler and design/implement solutions that contribute directly to our service launch.
Our team is perfect for individuals looking to work in a dynamic, start-up like environment that also leverages the resources of Amazon. Similar to a start-up, our engineers wear many hats, move fast, and have a direct connection between their work and our customer experience/product success. Additionally, our engineers get the benefits of Amazon competitive salary and great benefits!
The ideal candidate should have experience with compilers, SQL, and distributed systems. In addition to strong technical knowledge, the ideal candidate should thrive in a fast paced start-up like environment and be passionate about solving ambiguous problems.
Please note that this position can be based out of any of these locations: New York City, Seattle, Bay area, Austin, Boston, Atlanta, Arlington/DC, Jersey City, Vancouver, and Toronto.
Inclusive Team Culture:
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth:
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Key job responsibilities
- Leading design, implementation, testing, and delivery of a SQL compiler.
- Coaching and mentoring teammates/partner teams in how to contribute to and debug the SQL compiler.
- Contributing to design, implementation, and deliver of non compiler, distributed systems software.
About the team
We care about career growth and strive to provide engineers with opportunities that require learning new skills and surrounding them with talented individuals who can provide guidance if needed.
We believe perfect is a moving target and use mechanisms (sprint retrospectives, 1:1's, and anonymous feedback) to ensure we're constantly iterating towards it. It's not enough to be a great team; we also need to incorporate change to ensure we stay one!
Our team is primarily in NYC, but we are hiring in many locations and restrict meetings to times that are friendly for all continental US time zones. If your location has enough employees, we'll expect you to go in 1-2 times per week, but understand life happens and you sometimes won't be able to.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one software programming language
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- 2+ years of experience working on compilers.
- Proven track record building large-scale, highly available, highly reliable security-focused distributed systems.
- Hands-on experience with AWS (including Lambda, API Gateway, Step Functions, DynamoDB, Redshift, Glue, Lake Formation, etc), SQL, and compilers.
- Experience in a fast paced start-up culture and demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence/best practices and mentoring other team members
- Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and transform them into technical designs.
- Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to lead and focus a team of experienced engineers, leading them to a common technical goal
- A thirst for knowledge and continuous improvement.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming