The AWS Networking organization is hiring, and we're looking for talented Network Development Engineers (NDE) to join our team. Within Networking, we're confronting and solving complex and high-stake challenges. Our teams support all aspects of connectivity to/from Amazon and the outside world, as well as the connectivity between Amazon's data centers and services. As a member of one our network engineering teams, you will play a part in designing and architecting networks that simply cannot fail, must scale infinitely, and can never constrain growth or innovation.
This opportunity sits within our Internet Services organization where the team is responsible for designing the networks connecting Amazon directly to the outside world (including the Internet, peers, and external customers), evolving the global backbone that interconnects our Regions as well as partnering with our internal customers. Engineers in this organization define routing policy, design and implement Traffic Engineering solutions, as well as architect the hardware platforms and network design to support internal and external connectivity. We move terabits of traffic in and out of our networks each day and are responsible for the ingress and egress points of traffic entering and leaving Amazon as well as the entirety of all internal and customer traffic that rides our global backbone. Engineers on this team make day-to-day and strategic decisions that carry a huge amount of responsibility and impact.
As a Network Development Engineer at Amazon, your core job responsibility is to design network topologies, architectures, and services that solve for many requirements. We listen to our customers (both internal and external), but we also listen to our teams. Our Engineers contribute materially to each team's roadmap, and constantly help us to determine what's most important. Together, you and your leadership team will decide on the projects that best support your team's mission. You will have the resources and time necessary to understand, scope, and deliver these solutions. The primary area of responsibility you and your team will have is to design ahead of customer or technology needs, always predicting and solving for problems that have not yet occurred. This takes the form of creating and defending High Level Design (HLD) documents, working with vendors or internal stakeholders to influence technology roadmaps, constructing and testing your solutions, and providing support to the teams that will deploy and operate these designs. Our teams also serve as technical escalation points in support of our very talented operations teams.
We're interested in engineers with experience having designed, operated, and implemented networks of very large scale, and those well versed in the operation of the Internet routing hierarchy. Candidates should understand the theory behind and have deep operational knowledge of routing protocols with particular emphasis on their impact to hardware platforms. We're looking for those who have pushed platforms to their limits, understand how to work within the limitations imposed by third-party software and how to avoid them through your designs.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience is mandatory.
• IP networking fundamentals and experience in the application of IP protocols as well as network analysis fundamentals and troubleshooting skills.
• (Troubleshooting traffic engineering using BGP and large scale network design and maintenance is critical.)
• Experience with major internet routing protocols; specifically BGP (including route reflector topologies), OSPF, ISIS, MPLS and RSVP.
• Experience managing large projects to completion is a must, either as project manager or lead. NDEs are expected to self-manage several projects at a time, providing regular status updates and identifying and pushing through obstacles.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Candidates should have a minimum of 7 years industry experience in a similar environment e.g ISP, peering and exchange, and large (IP) carrier networks.
• Background in high availability, global backbone design and architecture is highly preferred.
• Unix/Linux skills and the ability to script in Python, Perl, shell, C or C++ is desirable, SDN is a reality in AWS Networking. Daily activities will involve applying networking knowledge to SDN and Network Automation tools.
• Certifications (e.g. CCIE, JNCIE) a huge plus.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Law Enforcement and Security Quality Assurance