We are looking for a Software Development Manager to lead the team in designing and building systems and new initiatives. You will help establish technical standards and drive the overall technical architecture and engineering practices. You will work on all aspects of the software development while focusing on the hardest problems. You will build high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs. You will think globally when designing and building the software, ensuring the software is evolving in the right long term direction while bringing value to customers iteratively. You will coach, mentor, and guide the efforts of developers across multiple locations.
At AWS we value critical thinking, self-motivation, and the ability to deal with ambiguity. You should bring a cool head, strong technical background, be detail oriented, have excellent problem-solving abilities, and be an exemplary communicator. Your technical expertise and operational excellence will influence your team's decisions and help drive secure and robust customer solutions. We love people who innovate, use data to make decisions, and can express themselves thoughtfully. We want you to be passionate about delivering a great customer experience, and to love driving the team to reach and exceed their goals.
Working closely with teams across AWS, you'll see and feel the impact of your work on our customers. This is a high visibility and high impact role that will interact with all levels of AWS leadership. Our ideal candidate is excited about the incredible opportunity cloud computing represents and is deeply passionate about delivering the highest quality services. You're naturally customer centric and thrive in a fast-paced environment that requires strong technical and business judgment and solid communication skills. The ideal candidate should also have demonstrated the ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Key job responsibilities
- Build a best-in-class engineering team that delivers excellent results through rapid iterations
- Design and develop state-of-the-art approaches to solving complex and ambiguous problems
- Cultivate engineering and operational excellence through metrics and continuous learning
- Develop long term strategy for your programs and translate it into roadmap and action plan
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
- Mentor and grow engineering talents to take on increasingly higher responsibilities
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Computer Science or a related discipline
- Masters in Computer Science or related field
- Deep hands-on technical expertise
- Project Management experience with agile development methodology
- Ability to take raw product requirements and create software architectures and designs to bring them to life.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work successfully with teams across the organization, including Engineering, Program Management, Quality Assurance, and Senior Leadership
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and opinions
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming