We are looking for a seasoned and well-rounded Software Engineering Manager to join the team in Vancouver. #AmazonMQSDM
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers tens of thousands of businesses around the world!
Our team creates and operates Amazon MQ that provide AWS customers with the cloud infrastructure for building highly scalable, asynchronous, and fault-tolerant cloud applications. If you are passionate about the challenges of large scale, building cutting-edge technologies, and making applications easy and reliable then the Amazon MQ is the team for you. Amazon MQ is one of the fastest growing AWS services and customers are excited to use our service because they can meet their messaging needs while using standards like AMQP and JMS. Our team builds on top of the latest AWS serverless technologies such as Lambda, API Gateway, Step Functions, CodeDeploy, and CloudFormation, among others.
You have a passion for software development and are ready to help guide a new team through building a distributed platform that will be the underpinning for running large number of compute nodes across multiple data centers. You can explain why various design patterns are both awesome and constraining, you've seen production code fail (and fixed) in spectacular ways - and learned from it. You've come to the understanding that being passionate about an idea is different than taking it personally and believe that debate makes strong ideas stronger.
You've written and released lots of software, shipped products, and contributed to platforms, tools and modules. Having worked with several frameworks, designs and scaling models you understand the challenges involved with building big, distributed systems used by thousands of people every day - and relish them. You love to learn new things and grow the people on your team.
What You'll Do
- Effectively mentor and manage a team of software developers including their projects and performance
- Deliver project roadmap on-time, communicating clearly with team, management and stakeholders
- Work with other managers and team members to estimate effort and document scope
- Contribute to and lead design, architecture, process and development discussions
- Distill and communicate technical concepts to the team and other stakeholders
- Argue for the right outcomes with data, conviction, and diplomacy
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have thirteen employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves minimal on-call responsibilities, typically three days a month, and also includes solving problems reported by customers. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related discipline (or) at least 6 years equivalent work experience
- 4+ years experience managing software development teams
- Experience in at least one modern programming language such as Java, C#, Go, C++, Ruby, Python, Erlang, or similar.
- Deep hands-on technical expertise
- Direct experience with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Excellent organizational, prioritization, and time management skills
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Values working in a diverse team
- Master's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field; or at least 6 years equivalent work experience
- Track record of developing engineers through various career stages and building high-performance teams
- Experience building and operating large-scale distributed software systems and highly available services
- Experience with cloud and/or software as a service products
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming