Amazon Retail brings buyers and sellers together. Our retail customers depend on us to give them access to every product at the best possible price. Our sellers depend on us to give them a platform to launch their business into every home and marketplace. Making this happen for all customers around the world is the mission of every member of the Amazon International Technology & Expansion team.
The ask is simple: make everything available to everyone all the time at the best possible price across the globe. The implementation is not - so we're looking for leaders who aren't afraid of tackling massive scale, layered complexity and ambiguous problems to empower our customers to shop the World. No two features are ever the same and our customers are hungry for every single one!
Key job responsibilities
We are looking for an experienced Software Development Engineers to join our growing team of developers in Vancouver, BC. On our team, you will work on many highly available Tier-1 services, and will be at the forefront of enabling experiences tailor-made for our 300 million plus customers. You will be tasked to think big and find new ways on how we can more efficiently expand into new geographies, and work daily with massively scalable distributed systems processing hundreds of billions of requests a day. You will be responsible for the design, development, test, and deployment of these services, at the same upholding the bar for OE (operational excellence). Candidates will need to think outside the box to quickly come up with innovative solutions to problems that are unique to Amazon. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing real time scalable systems, a strong technical ability, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment.
A day in the life
In a typical day you will be tasked with investigating and architecting how to expand Amazon Retail features to more countries. You will need to find ways to optimize or automate those features, or build relevant tooling. You will then be writing the code for those features and co-ordinating with engineers from other teams to deploy your code in front of customers in production. You will participate and give thoughts on code reviews, design reviews and operational reviews of your colleagues' work. And if you happen to go into the office, you might be tasked with a friendly game of table tennis.
About the team
The Amazon International Expansion team in Vancouver is small group (20-30 people) of experienced Amazonians who tackle complex/ambiguous problems everyday. We keep our on-call load low, so we can focus on solving bigger picture problems. We are a social group and generally organize a team event at least once per month. Recent activities includes Archery tag, GoKarting, and hiking on Cypress Mountain.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• 3+ years relevant work experience in commercial or web-scale system software development
• Proficiency in developing objected-oriented software, with deep experience in one or more relevant languages (Java, C++, or C#)
• Understanding of operating system fundamentals (Linux or Windows)
• Understanding of scalable computing systems, software architecture, data structures, and algorithms
• Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cyclePREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• BS degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
• Experience building and operating scalable distributed systems
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
• Experience in Agile/SCRUM enterprise-scale software development
• Familiar with building secure software using modern security principle
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming