Position Title Skills Coach Posting Number 01626SA Location Grade or Pay Level - Salary Range - Position Type Training Group Contract Employment Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Contract Employment Type Full-Time Posting Category Training Group Start Date 09/06/2022 End Date 03/31/2023 Day of the Week Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays Shift between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday Work Arrangements
The Skills coach will work virtually and out of the Douglas College Coquitlam location. Position is full time at 35 hours per week.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Skills Coach will conduct foundational skills assessments and develop and deliver learning plans to help participants develop the foundational skills needed by clients for success in further education and training or employment. This PBLMT (project based labour market training) program focuses on preparing participants for customer service, office assistant and other administrative roles.Responsibilities
• Assess clients to ensure appropriateness for program entry
• Administer a variety of skills assessments (Essential Skills and Skills for Success)
• Review and interpret assessment results in relation to client goals
• Debrief assessment results with clients
•Monitor client progress and continue formative and summative assessments.
Develop and deliver curriculum that scaffolds learning to build foundational skills and incorporate authentic workplace/training documents to assist participants to:
• explore and understand skill requirements of their desired occupational goal;
• understand occupation specific language;
• prepare participants for success in further education and training or work;
• develop digital literacy skills;
• develop reading, numeracy, writing, and social emotional skills that are needed for the participant's training or employment goal(s) (such as work in customer service or administrative work);
• Evaluate learners at regular intervals and provide feedback;
• Encourage peer mentorship and learning in small group sessions;
• Maintain participant progress records adhering to privacy requirements;
• Maintain organized electronic file system of curriculum with instruction guides;
• Participate in team meetings;
• Complete reports and paperwork as required;
• Contribute to ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System.
• Miscellaneous duties as required.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• 2 years post-secondary (Bachelor's Degree preferred in Education or ESL Instruction) and 2 years' experience delivering instruction to low skilled adult learners or equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
• Knowledge of construct approach to learning ( ESPT Certificate an asset);
• Familiarity with Essential & Employability Skills resources and tools an asset;
• Demonstrated instructional experience;
• Proficient with online learning tools, Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel, Blackboard an asset;
• Satisfactory completion of a criminal records check. A criminal record will not automatically result in your application for employment being denied.
• conduct learning assessments and develop customized learning plans with adult learners;
• amend materials to meet unique client needs;
• develop and deliver engaging learning activities that apply adult learning principals;
• complete and maintain confidential client files;
• communicate effectively and work with all stakeholders as required, including Work BC, referring agents and client-serving agencies, the general public and colleagues;
• use interpersonal skills to problem solve and deal with difficult situations;
• create and maintain a professional workplace environment for learners;
• demonstrate adaptability and flexibility in day-to-day tasks;
• work independently and require little supervision.
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check Yes
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 04/11/2022 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and cover letter online. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. The posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/9728
Education and Training