For millions of customers worldwide, the Amazon name is synonymous with delivery - and the Delivery Experience (DEX) team provides those customers with innovative ways to get what they want and need, enabling the choices they make on every order, every day. We combine customer impact with retail invention, solving huge technical challenges along the way.
DEX defines, builds, launches and manages customer-facing delivery programs and features across all of Amazon, including Prime 2-day shipping, Prime FREE Same-Day Delivery, One-Day Shipping, No Rush, Free Shipping over $25, and inventions yet to come. We own systems that power retail delivery (both customer-facing and back-end), leveraging company-wide technology solutions or designing them from the ground up. Together, DEX is changing how customers experience delivery - from the speed, convenience, and selection features they see on the site every day, to launching Prime delivery benefits and other new programs to customers around the world.
Some info about this opportunity and our team:
• Our mission is to provide consistent, accurate, and relevant delivery information to every single page on every Amazon-owned site, which means millions of customers will be impacted by your contributions.
• The changes we make directly impact the customer experience on Amazon websites on numerous platforms (mobile/tablets, desktop, set top boxes, etc.).
• This is a highly visible and very critical role, owning tier 1 services in the Amazon Checkout platform.
• You will drive strategic planning and project execution, recruit, hire, and develop the industry's top engineering talent.
• This is a great position for someone who likes backend development and Service-Oriented , but wants to see and measure their direct impact on customers.
• We're looking for candidates that have acted as a technical leader and built high-performance, scalable and robust systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment.
The Software Development Manager will:
• Own development of their systems end-to-end
• Provide technical direction
• Establish and execute short and long-term architectural roadmaps for the business
• Continue to innovate on the framework to support delivery programs worldwide
• Manage multiple development teams focused on creating the complex back-end architecture
• Drive continual improvements to the efficiency and flexibility of the business platform while keeping an extremely high bar for customer trust, performance, and availability.
The ideal candidate has a track record of launching projects with Java/C#, C++, and distributed computing technologies on a Linux platform as well as deep expertise in mobile application platforms.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 6+ years of professional experience in software development/engineering
• 3+ years of engineering management experience
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related fieldPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience recruiting, hiring, and managing a team
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective product software engineers
• Experience influencing software engineers' best practices within your team
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Experience working backwards from the customer and delivering innovative, simple solutions
• Master's Degree/PhD in Computer Science or related field
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming