Under the direction of the Executive Chef, or Sous Chef, the Chef de Partie is responsible to lead, coach, motivate and oversee all staff and aspects of the Food & Beverage departmental operations pertaining to the back of house during a prescribed shift. The Chef de Partie will assist in monitoring the back of house departmental operations during their shift and ensure that prudent decisions are made in order ensure operational efficiencies. The work is typified as a full time hands-on supervisory position and includes establishing priorities, developing plans, and ensuring work quality is maintained by staff. He/She is required to take all necessary precautions to protect the safety and health of workers and ensure that safe work practices are developed and adhered to. Other duties of this position include coordinating the activities of employees doing various tasks within the department. Responsibilities include assisting the Executive Chef and Sous Chef in areas including scheduling, training, ongoing employee development, performance management and appraisal, establishing work standards and monitoring performance. In consultation with the Executive Chef and Human Resources, the incumbent will participate in recruitment and issuing discipline within established guidelines
*$1000 signing Bonus, Conditions Apply*Key Accountabilities:
Education and Qualification Requirements:
• Reports to the Executive Chef or Sous Chef
• Monitor and control department expenditures related to labour, food costs and other operational costs during the course of a specified shift
• Assist the Executive Chef and Sous Chef with the development and implementation of creative menu items for the various foodservice outlets working within prescribed food cost percentage allotments
• Plan and conduct pre-shift staff meetings
• Attend meetings and training programs when required
• Assist the Executive Chef and Sous Chef with maintaining all back of house inventory control levels to meet business volumes
• Assist the Executive Chef and Sous Chef with the development and implementation of, or modify (existing) department standards, policies and procedures where required
• Monitor employee position objectives along with encouraging employee development
• Coach and counsel staff in accordance with department and organization policies, procedures and provide performance development guidance and direction
• Participate in recruitment process for kitchen employees when required
• Conduct remedial/ disciplinary discussions in accordance with established policies and related documentation
• Resolve department issues, providing guidance and direction to employees to ensure a positive morale and motivation of all employees is sustained at all times
• Assist the Executive Chef and Sous Chef with the development of effective and efficient staff schedules to meet the requirements of business fluctuations, company and staff needs
• Assist the Executive Chef and Sous Chef to develop, promote and participate in training programs for department employees
• Ensure all NBLGC, Casino New Brunswick and other provincial mandated laws, policies and procedures are stringently enforced at all times
• Develop and maintain positive relationships with all food and beverage staff and customers alike
• Other duties as assigned
• Secondary Responsibilities
• Form connections with external organizations, businesses and other jurisdictions where required
• Maintain constant contact with other Casino New Brunswick departmental staff members.
• Maintain a visible presence to guests and staff, model effective approaches and communications in the area of customer and staff relations
• Work collaboratively with the Executive Chef and Sous Chef to ensure consistency and standardization of department requirements
• Communicate to the Executive Chef or Sous Chef any staff or customer issues that may require assistance to remedy
• Maintain contact with suppliers and vendors on an "as needed" basis
• All other duties as assigned.
Work Environment Conditions:
• The incumbent is required to possess 2-3 years experience in a progressive lead role or supervisory capacity of a large volume foodservice operation.
• A Post Secondary education in a recognized Hospitality or Culinary Management program is required. Training in Outlook Express, PowerPoint, Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) is required.
• The incumbent will have ongoing experience in a progressive lead role or kitchen supervisory position with practical hands on knowledge and experience in all facets of the Food & Beverage operations. Additionally, high volume Banquet services management and Hotel food service operations would be considered valuable assets.
• An understanding of menu design, inventory control and food cost practices and procedures. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required in order to promote, maintain, and deliver impeccable service standards at all times.
• The skill requirements for this position include customer service, teamwork and cooperation, communication, achieving quality results, technical/professional knowledge. These competencies are deemed important for the success of the position and Casino New Brunswick.
• Working effectively to accomplish organizational goals; taking action that respects the needs and contributions of others, contributing to and supporting consensus
• Expressing ideas and listening effectively, both verbally and non-verbally, to achieve understanding. Sharing information; giving feedback. Expressing ideas clearly and concisely in documents that have organization, structure, grammar, language and terminology adjusted to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
• Self-starting; seeking out and/or willingly accepting assignments, responsibilities and challenges.
• Demonstrating integrity in all decisions, communication and actions; modeling the values of the organization in the conduct of all business activities.
• Achieving an appropriate level of technical skills and knowledge in position related areas: Keeping abreast of current development, organizational policies, and trends in the area of expertise.
• Bilingualism (French/English) is an asset
• Use proper lifting, bending, pushing and pulling techniques
• Perform job tasks and remain vigilant in the event of an emergency
• The capabilities to multi task under time constraints
• Work within a 24/7 operation with ability to work flexible hours when required (days, evening, nights, weekends and holidays)
• Willing to submit to a criminal record check with results acceptable to our organization, standards and position, and/or obtain and maintain an NBLGC license registration
• Must have employment eligibility in Canada
• Must be 19 years of age or older
Every team member must comply with all requirements of the Corporate Ethics and Conduct Manual and with all other corporate policies as communicated. Every team member will be familiar with the business process documentation and internal control objectives related to their position and how their job description aligns with specific internal control activities for which they are responsible. Every team member must adhere to all Company and regulatory policies as they relate to functions of the position. Licensing and Certification Requirements:
Permanent employment may be dependent upon the authorization and continued approval of the Provincial/State Regulatory Bodies. New employees may be required to complete an application and, if required, will begin work only after regulatory approval is granted. Existing team members will reapply as necessary, and continuing work will be dependent upon successful reapplication. For positions that require additional certification, the appropriate level of certification will be maintained.
Hospitality and Tourism